We say all the time that SilcoTek® coatings are used in a wide range of applications. But where exactly? Let's discuss specific methods and standards where our coatings are used.
SilcoTek® coatings are indeed used in a wide variety of applications. Coating uses range from mold release, process sampling, semiconductor manufacturing, oil and gas production, hydrocarbon processing, analytical testing and much more. But isn't that a pretty nebulous claim? How are the coatings used in test methods and do SilcoTek coatings comply with my industry standards? That's a valid question, so we rolled up our sleeves and pulled together some methods or applications that use our coatings. To be sure, there are many more applications and uses for our coatings, here are just a few on our list.
In this blog post you will learn:
OK, first a bit of a disclaimer. The methods we're listing may not specifically call out our coatings, some methods specify a performance criteria that can only be achieved by using inert coatings, other times products featuring our coatings or equivalent are called out. Want to learn about our coatings and applications? Get our free e-Book.
We searched methods and related products used in the method application to find industry approved or customer approved use of our coatings. For some applications we’re formally approved, in other uses we're referenced in tests or standards. Some applications call out a specific coated component either by our brand name or the customer brand. So we're casting a wide net to list as many standards and methods for various industries. Of course individual customers have their own approval process and methods which are not discussed. We don't list customer approved uses as they are confidential (we're not blabber mouths you know..). Anyway, enough of the disclaimers. Here are just some of the applications and benefits for some of the industries in which our coatings are used.
Refinery & Petrochemical / Spec Gas / Natural Gas / Oil & Gas Exploration
Benefits of using inert silicon coatings in hydrocarbon processing applications
- Faster response
- Accurate and reliable sulfur test results
- Faster calibration
- Fewer test failures
What about NACE standard MRO 175 (Materials for use in H2S containing environments)? Do SilcoTek coatings comply with this standard? No. MRO 175 specifies the base metals that are approved for H2S environments, not coatings. No coating will apply to MRO 175, only base metals. Our coatings when applied to MRO 175 approved metals will improve the surface inertness and improve H2S detection. The base metal will continue to comply with MRO 175. Applying our coatings to non compliant materials will not make them compliant, only inert to reactivity.
Medical and Pharmaceutical
- NSF Approval / ANSI 51 Compliance (Food equipment materials)
- FDA 21 CFR 211.65 (Pharmaceutical equipment)
- ISO 10993-5 (2009) (Bio compatibility testing)
Benefits to Medical and Pharma Testing
- Prevent chemical adsorption
- Reduce analyte carryover and contamination
- Prevent protein binding and sticking
- Improved flow path corrosion resistance
Get more information on use and benefits of bioinert coatings in medical diagnostic applications.
Several component applications apply for purity and corrosion resistance. Other applications include:
Benefits to semiconductor manufacturing
- Improved yields by reducing metal ion contamination
- More accurate trace environmental contaminant testing
- Improved equipment durability and corrosion resistance
Get more information on silicon coating benefits in semiconductor manufacturing.
- Early detection of mold in buildings
- EPA 8270D (semivolitile testiing for MVOCs)
- EPA TO-14a
- EPA TO-15 VOCs in air
- EPA TO-16, TO-16A Sulfurs
- EPA TO-17 VOC testing using sorbent tubes
- EN ISO 16017 Indoor ambient air sampling
- ASTM D6196 (VOC testing)
- ISO 16017 (Indoor air monitoring)
- ISO 16000-6 (Indoor VOC testing)
- ASTM D5466 (VOC testing)
- OSHA PV2120 (indoor air quality monitoring)
- NIOSH 2549 (VOC testing)
Benefits to air quality testing
- Consistent trace level test results, ppb and ppt test capability.
- Improved peak resolution
- Improved sample stability during storage
Learn more about key factors in producing reliable VOC analysis.
- EPA 8081B Organochlorine pesticides
- EPA 8082A PCBs
- EPA 8151 Chlorinated herbicides
- EPA 504.1 EDB, DBCP, TCP
- EPA 505 Organohalide pesticides
- EPA 508.1 Chlorinated pesticides
- EPA 552.2 Haloacetic acids, dalapon
Benefits to environmental testing
- Improved sample stability during sample collection and transfer
- Higher test peak resolution
- Improved low level detection
- High durability surface ideal for field testing
Go to our Analytical Solutions page to learn more about the benefits of our coatings in environmental testing.
About Corrosion Resistance
Our coatings are also tested to various corrosion standards. In this case our coatings are not part of the test method, we're the focus of the testing. Since corrosion testing applies to many industries, we thought it would be beneficial to list some of the methods used to evaluate our coatings for corrosion resistance. Our coatings have been successfully tested for corrosion resistance using the following standards:
- ASTM G85, Salt Spray
- ASTM B117, Salt Spray
- ASTM G85-A2, Acidified Salt Spray
- ASTM G31, Immersion Testing
- ASTM G48, Method B2 – ferric chloride pitting and crevice corrosion
- ASTM D4585, condensing humidity
Corrosion resistance benefits
- Extend the life of existing components
- Improve corrosion performance using existing materials and design
- High tolerance coating does not alter part fit or geometry
Get our corrosion test results.